Friday, September 8, 2017

First post? First post!

Hi all!

I'm somewhat new to the world of blogging, though certainly not new to the world of the internet. I'm (as of this writing) a twentysomething American transplant in Australia and despite what the title of my blog may have you believe, I'm not just a knitter. I've been getting into blackwork embroidery (and other sorts, but never cross-stitch!) and I sew a bit as well. I play in the SCA as Emmeline of Ansteorra, and I am an avid historian, focusing in medieval fashion and textiles, as well as folk knitting.

I created this blog to share my creations, plus some tips and tricks I've picked up along the way all in one place for me to refer back to. Though I'm sure most of them are nothing new, I still think there's no such thing as too many tutorials for a technique, as everyone learns something a bit differently.

My love of fiber arts didn't really kick into gear until I was in high school. I learned to cross-stitch and a bit of sewing in elementary school as a Girl Scout, but quickly discovered I had no patience whatsoever for counted cross-stitch. (I always find my mistakes after I've woven in the ends...and at that point I don't want to unpick it.) My mother picked up quilting, and as I accompanied her to fabric shops galore I picked up my own small stash of fat quarters and remnants, most of which went unused. But it was pretty, and I liked it.

In high school, a teacher of mine had this grand idea that the service organization she led would learn to crochet, and we'd make blanket squares to sew together. It didn't exactly work out, but her teaching me how to crochet opened up a world of artistic expression to me that I fell in love with. About four years after learning to crochet, I picked up knitting in my dorm room at university. My small stash of yarn grew...and grew...and grew... and now it's not so small anymore. It is beginning to rival my book collection. After learning knitting, I picked up weaving, spinning, tatting, and embroidery (in that order...I think).

Now, four years after learning to knit, I've got about a dozen shawls, eight pairs of socks (I counted), two and a half sweaters (I really should finish the half-sweater, shouldn't I?), and a handful of hats. I've begun the TKGA Master Knitting program, though that's fallen by the wayside a bit, and aim to finish it hopefully soon.

Until next time,
Emma

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful!